- yr program
MS-CDS Graduation Requirements
- Completion of a minimum of 63 semester units of coursework and clinical practicum experiences;
- Completion of all course work with a GPA of at least 3.0;
- Completion of a Graduate Culminating Experience equivalent to 3 semester units;
- Students must be fully classified at the time of graduation (in order to be fully classified, students must have the following: Bachelor's degree from an accredited university, 3.0 GPA in their cumulative post-graduate course work, and have completed the UDWPE.
Note: Transfer of previous graduate coursework is subject to the approval of the graduate coordinator of the major department and the Associate Vice President of Graduate Studies.
Steps Required to Complete Your MS-CDS Degree
Conditionally Classified Graduate (GRAD) Status
In order to achieve fully classified graduate standing, students will need:
- A passing score on the CSU Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam.;
- Basic science requirements as identified by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (one college-level course in the biological sciences, one college-level course in either physics or chemistry, one college-level course in the social sciences, one college-level course in inferential statistics). (Note: These areas of study must involve courses taken at CSUN or courses that are eligible for transfer to CSUN.)
It is important to achieve full Classified standing prior to completing 12 units of graduate work.
Classified Graduate Status
Students who meet all University and departmental requirements as outlined in the current catalog.
Graduation with Honors
Students who satisfy all program requirements and maintain a grade point average of 3.885 or higher on their coursework will receive their MS-CDS degrees with distinction. The notation "with distinction" is posted on the transcript and will appear on the diploma.
Applying for the Degree
Students eligible to apply for graduation will receive an email from the Office of Graduate Studies with information regarding how to complete the online graduation application. To be eligible, students must be classified and completed 18 units OR be classified and be in progress of completing 18 units. This application will initiate a graduation evaluation—which advises students of existing requirements for their degree. Graduate students are required to be enrolled the semester in which their degree is to be awarded.
Graduation Application Deadlines
How to Apply for Graduation Online
CSUN’s Application for Graduation is now available online. To be eligible to apply, graduates will need to have completed/be in progress of completing 18 units. Students should apply one year in advance of their intended graduation date. Students that are eligible to apply will receive an email from Graduate Studies. A $47 fee is required.
Online Graduation How to Guide (.pdf)
How to Get Your Graduate Diploma
Graduating from college is an important milestone in your life. It’s imperative that you take the necessary steps to ensure that you receive your graduate diploma. Please read here to ensure receipt of diploma!
Reinstatement to the Program
If a student withdraws from a cohort, s(he) may be admitted to another cohort at a later date. The reinstated student will be assessed the same tuition and nonrefundable fees as apply to all other students in the new cohort.
Note: All cohorts, once begun, will be taught out through to completion. However, there is no guarantee that new cohorts will follow in a specific area or within a specific amount of time.
Participants of this program are required to have:
- Internet access from a reliable ISP with live technical support and a high-speed connection, such as DSL or Cable
- Reliable personal e-mail account
- Document Scanner (with compatible software able to save to PDF, GIF, or JPEG format)
- Fax machine (must be able to send faxes—does not have to be a dedicated fax number)
Please carefully review a full list of technical requirements for this program.
Have technical difficulties your online class(es)? Our technical support is just a click away.
Please carefully review the full list of Program Policies, including Academic Honesty and Integrity Requirement, Time Limitations for Earning Degrees and Certificates, Temporary Disruption of Attendance, Withdrawal Policy and Refund Policy.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents on this page. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.