State Authorization Information

The California State University Northridge is currently authorized to operate or is currently exempt from requiring approval in all U.S. states with the exception of the following states:

  • North Carolina
  • New Mexico
  • Rhode Island

Regarding State Licensure Requirements

The California State University Northridge may offer a program that prepares an individual for licensure in their home state. As licensing requirements in each field can vary from state to state, California State University Northridge has not made any determination as to whether our degree programs meet the educational requirements for licensure in any state outside of California. This information is provided to applicants as of January 23, 2023.

Note regarding Master of Communicative Disorders (CDS) program: CSUN has not made any determination as to whether this program meets the educational requirements for licensure in any state outside of California and North Dakota. Your state may have its own specific licensure requirements for speech-language pathologists. Please check with your state's licensing department for the most up-to-date information. You may find contact information for your state through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

North Dakota (ND) prospective and current CDS students

For students who are in the state of ND, in compliance with ND Century Code requirements, this program meets the licensure requirements for the state of ND.

Information about the ND state speech language pathology licensure can be found at their website:

On their website, Option 2 would be applicable to students who are in ND but taking CSUN's M.S. in Communicative Disorders program." Option 2 is for Initial Out of State Reciprocal License and applies to an Applicant who has completed a master’s degree in speech language pathology from outside of ND and does not hold a speech language pathology license in another state. 

Applicant applies online and submits a background check packet.

Official transcripts and Speech Language Pathology Praxis test scores will be needed to complete the application. Then, a transcript analysis is done by ESPB to determine if any education courses and/or tests are needed to meet licensure standards.