Everyone deserves a voice. You can make sure it’s heard.
This program is ideal if you desire a career helping people restore and improve their speech. Nationally recognized for excellence, the program satisfies the academic requirements for licensure as a speech-language pathologist. Plus, all courses are offered 100% online.
Get ready for practice.
A master's degree in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) is the professional requirement for employment as a speech-language pathologist. Completion of CSUN's Master of Science in Communicative Disorders program satisfies the academic requirements for
- Licensure in all states to practice in medical, rehabilitative or private practice settings;*
- Education credentials in all states for employment in public schools; and
- Professional certification by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), the field's leading professional, credentialing and scientific organization in the U.S.
For all practicum experiences, you’ll work with a site near you.
* A passing score on the board-approved exam is also required for licensure as a speech-language pathologist.
Why study communication disorders?
Speech-language pathologists assist both children and adults with a wide range of communication disorders. Excellent career opportunities in this field are expected to continue well into the next decade as the expanding older population ages and medical advances improve survival rates for premature infants and victims of stroke and trauma, all of whom typically require professional speech assessment and, possibly, treatment.
Expand the conversation.
By specializing in this field, you’ll not only transform lives – you’ll add to the larger human conversation. Before you even finish the program, you’ll help clients in the real world, learning about:
- Interviewing and Counseling in Communicative Disorders
- Research in Communication Disorders
- Language Disorders
- Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology of Speech, Language and Hearing
- Neurogenic Disorders of Cognition and Language
- Structural and Neurogenic Speech Disorders
- Voice and Disorders of Voice
- Advanced Diagnostics in Speech and Language Pathology
- Pediatric Audiology
Learn the field from anywhere, at any time
As you hone your practical abilities, this program helps you master essential concepts in class – all on a convenient online platform. The program’s online courses feature live class sessions, on-demand access to learning materials and daily networking opportunities.
Get close, personal support
Throughout the program, you’ll receive the one-on-one support of a team dedicated to your personal and professional success. Whether it’s enrollment, grading or financial aid, a team of experts will help you stay on track and graduate on time.
When you enroll, we’ll place you in a small, interactive group of peers from diverse organizations and industries. And from day one to graduation, you’ll learn and grow together.
CSUN’s Master of Science in Communicative Disorders program recently won the Outstanding Program Award from the National Awards Committee of the University Professional & Continuing Education Association (UPCEA).
This program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) and the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).