Join us for an info session!
Join our team of experts for an information session to gain insight into the application process, discover what it takes to succeed in the program, and chat with a financial aid representative.
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2021
Time: 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. PDT
Location: Online via Zoom
RSVP for 8/18 ATHS Info Session
Final Deadline October 19, 2021
Enable persons with disabilities to live more independently through assistive technology
With more than 4,000 developing technologies that enable persons with disabilities to live more productive, independent and fulfilling lives, this academic discipline has emerged to provide human services professionals with a variety of skills and theoretical knowledge to ensure that assistive technology (AT) users are able to access and benefit fully from advances in the field.
Physical disabilities affect every sector of the population - school-age children, young adults, seniors, veterans and more. In addition, because lifespans are lengthening, and disability often accompanies increasing age, the U.S. Department of Labor predicts substantial long-term growth in all health-service sectors, including the areas of assistive, adaptive and access technologies.
Gain essential knowledge from a world-renowned disability-services leader
Internationally recognized for its expertise in disability services, CSUN created its online Assistive Technology Studies and Human Services (ATHS) program to meet the growing demand for skilled AT specialists, who can assess, assist, train, and empower those using assistive technology in their daily lives. As the first master’s degree of its kind in Southern California, CSUN’s ATHS program prepares students to synthesize the interconnections between human and technological factors, explain and interpret product design and function, assess AT users’ needs, interpret the legal and political history of assistive technology, and develop relevant delivery protocols.
Offered in collaboration with CSUN’s College of Health and Human Development, this two-year, online, 10-course program prepares working professionals for rewarding careers that enhance the lives of those who rely on assistive-technology devices.
Designed to Meet the Needs of Working Professionals
- Work-friendly scheduling: This fully online program provides busy adults with significant flexibility for completing coursework at times and in places that fit their schedules. CSUN’s online programs are held to the same high standards of academic excellence and student achievement as the university’s on-campus programs. Every online program is taught by both full- and part-time faculty, whose engagement with online students is equivalent to their interaction with students on campus.
- Cohort-format: Students progress through the program as a group. This format not only ensures on-time program completion but also maximizes interaction with faculty and fellow students. The cohort format also results in the formation of highly valuable and long-lasting networking relationships that last well beyond graduation.
- Exceptional support services: From application to graduation, students enjoy the one-on-one support of a designated program coordinator and a CSUN faculty member assigned to coordinate the efforts of all teaching in the program. This support frees busy professionals from navigating the University's administrative systems to focus on their studies.
- Distinguished faculty: Taught by prominent experts in their respective disciplines, CSUN’s ATHS program provides an essential knowledge base for career development in the rapidly growing AT and human services field.
- Industry event participation: The Tseng College supports the annual CSUN International Technology and Persons with Disability Conference - the world’s largest of its kind - in which ATHS students are encouraged to participate.