This page includes the following program requirements:
- Admission Requirements
- Required English Language Skills for International Students
- Technical Requirements
- Admission Acceptance & Orientation Requirements
- Master's Program Requirements
To be admitted to the Certificate of Pre-SLP program, applicants must possess:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in any field of study.
- No less than a 2.5 GPA in the last 60 semester/90 quarter academic units attempted, independent of when the bachelor's degree was granted.
- The entire academic term in which the 60-90 units began will be used in this calculation. Postgraduate course work is included in the calculation only if it consists of standard academic offerings at the upper-division level (third year/junior level or above).
- Nonstandard credit offerings (professional training, CEU courses, non-degree or other professional credit) are not included in the calculation.
- Participants with less than a 2.5 GPA will not be considered for the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
For Non-U.S. Degree and International Students Only
Exception: If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required.
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for direct admission to the Certificate of Pre-SLP program.
|Test Name and Website||Minimum Score Required for Graduate Students||Send Score Directly To CSUN|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE)||180||Email “Confirmation of Entry” page to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|DET – Duolingo English Test||105||Online through your Duolingo Account. See Sending Your Results.|
|EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English||2630 (1)||Contact EIKEN online; they will send the score directly to us.|
|GTEC CBT – Global Test of English
Communication Computer-Based Test
|1200||Have GTEC send a copy of your "Official Score Certificate" to CSUN.|
|IELTS - International English Language Test System||6.5
||Have IELTS send a copy of your "Test Report Form" to CSUN.|
|iTEP Academic - International Test of English Proficiency||4.0||Have iTEP send your score to CSUN.|
|PTE Academic - Pearson’s Test of English||58||Online through your PTE Academic Account|
|TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language||— Internet Based score: 80
— Paper-based score: 550
We do not accept TOEFL ITP.
|Use CSUN School Code 4707.|
If an applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a college or university outside the U.S. where English is the principal language of instruction, the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required. Please note:
Master's Program Automatic Admission Requirements
CSUN Certificate of Pre-SLP Program students who meet the following criteria will be automatically admitted into the CSUN Distance Learning Master's Degree Program:
- GPA: CSUN Certificate of Pre-SLP program GPA of 3.85 or higher
- Positive Recommendations from Certificate of Pre-SLP faculty. For details on this requirement please contact Sherry.Foldvary@csun.edu.
CSUN Certificate of Pre-SLP students who do not meet these criteria may still apply to the CSUN CDS Distance Learning Master's Degree Program and may be admitted into the program. Competitive non-CSUN master's program applicants in the past have possessed a cumulative GPA of 3.6.