A prerequisite is a course or condition that must be completed/met prior to enrollment
in another specified course.
- For former CSUN students, SOLAR determines if the student meets
the prerequisite requirements.
- Visiting students are required to obtain a permission number to
register for classes, regardless of whether there is a prerequisite.
Visiting students are required to obtain a Permission Number in order to register
for classes. To obtain a Permission Number, students should follow these steps:
- Review the class notes of the course for any department specific process. Follow
the listed process accordingly.
- Contact the course instructor via email to request a permission number or to inform
the instructor you will be following the department process to receive a permission
number. Include the following info in your email:
- Your full name
- Student ID (optional)
- Course number and title (i.e., “MATH 102 - College Algebra”)
- Provide proof of how you have met the prerequisite requirement:
- For example, you may send an unofficial copy of your transcript and/or links to
descriptions of the relevant course(s) taken at your home institution, or a brief
explanation of your readiness.
- This process varies depending on the department.
- Suggested subject line: “MATH 102 Permission Number for Fall 2020”
- Attend the first class meeting of the course to revisit the request for a permission
number and stay on top of any relevant coursework.
A list of department chairs can be found on the
Contact Us page.
Details regarding Open University registration period, add/drop classes, grades,
refunds and late enrollment can be found below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents
on this page. Download a free
copy of Adobe Reader.
- After Open University registration ends, "swapping” will no longer be accepted.
- Although dropping a course protects your academic record, there is no refund available
after Friday, September 11, 2020. See
Refunds for more information.
- For the “W” grade definition, see Administrative Grading Symbols.
Open University Add/Drop Chart and Refund Schedule