A prerequisite is a course or condition that must be completed/met prior to enrollment in another specified course.
- For former CSUN students, SOLAR determines if the student meets the prerequisite requirements. However, permission numbers are still required for enrollment (see section below).
- Visiting students are required to show completion of a course prerequisite, even if the prerequisite was taken at another institution. Upload a copy of your unofficial transcripts in the Open University Course Request Submission Form.
NOTE: We are unable to access any previous or pending applications and transcripts you may have submitted for formal admission to CSUN. Please provide a copy of unofficial transcripts for all course requests.
All Open University students are required to obtain and use a permission number to enroll themselves in any course. To receive a permission number, Open University students should review the class notes of the course for any department specific process and then complete this Open University Course Request Submission Form. For more information, see Prerequisites. Open university students may attend the first class meeting of the course they wish to add to revisit their request for a permission number from the instructor. Online course pages will be available via Canvas on the Public Course Index.
Details regarding Open University registration period, add/drop classes, grades, refunds and late enrollment can be found below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents on this page. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.
- After Open University registration ends, "swapping” will no longer be accepted.
- Although dropping a course protects your academic record, there is no refund available after Friday, September 16, 2022 See Refunds for more information.
- For the “W” grade definition, see Administrative Grading Symbols.
Open University Add/Drop Chart and Refund Schedule
CSUN welcomes students from all over the world to enroll in Open University and experience a vibrant, diverse American university. For international students in the Los Angeles area, enrollment in ... Read more about International Students
Visiting students are those who are not formally admitted and enrolled in a degree, certificate or credential program at CSUN.
To qualify as a U.S. visiting student for Open University enrollment ... Read more about Visiting Students
CSUN students who are currently admitted and enrolled in a degree or certificate program are not eligible to enroll in courses through Open University.
Only those who are not currently admitted ... Read more about CSUN Students