The CSUN Certificate in SLPA Fieldwork Experience is comprised of two required courses:
- A 20-hour fully online “leveling” course to reacquaint students with the practical field of speech-language pathology assistants in preparation for the fieldwork experience.
- A 110-Hour Clinical Fieldwork Opportunity for the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant student.
Students will complete no less than 100 hours of face-to-face clinical fieldwork plus no less than 10 hours of additional clinical support/administrative work included in the tasks necessary to effectively work as a licensed Speech Language-Pathology Assistant (SLPA), including clinical documentation, staffing time (i.e. attending IEP meetings, team conferences, staff meetings), lesson planning, and therapy preparation under the supervision of the licensed SLP supervisor.
- Supervision will be provided by speech-language pathologists with a California and current American Speech-Language and Hearing Association (ASHA) membership. Supervision by an individual who has obtained the licensure and the Certificate of Clinical Competency (CCC) will ensure that the clinical field work experience completed by students will be recognized by SLPAB and ASHA.
- In addition to the total of 110 hours of clinical fieldwork, online assignments will be completed by all SLP 902 Students with their CSUN instructor/s.
Benefits of the CSUN Certificate in SLPA Fieldwork Experience delivery format include:
- Completion of certificate in 1 semester
- Online coursework allows for ultimate flexibility