- 2.5yr program
Below you will find answers to some of the frequently asked questions about this program. For additional information on admission requirements, curriculum, tuition and more, please visit the specific pages on the navigation menu to the left.
How many hours a week should I plan to dedicate to classes?
Credit-bearing programs conform to Carnegie hours (i.e., one credit equals one hour of class time, plus two hours of homework). Our programs usually have six to nine credits per term. Nine credits equals 27 hours a week dedicated to classes.
Who takes this program?
Ninety percent of students work in the public sector or want to enter the public sector. Examples:
- Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD)
- Superior Court of California
- Sheriff/police/school police/fire officers
- Mental health settings
- Los Angeles Department of Public Works
- Los Angeles County
Many employees are working professionals who completed their degree for various reasons, such as needing the degree to qualify for a promotion, receive a merit increase or for personal reasons.
I received an email stating that CSUN has requested my transcripts. Do I still need to send them?
Yes. Admissions and Records may send an automated request for transcripts to some community colleges, but we do not always receive them. Sending us your official transcripts directly is the best way to ensure that your application will be complete.
After completing your online application, please submit all official academic records/transcripts electronically or by mail to:
- Electronic transcripts: email@example.com
- Mail-in transcripts (sealed official):
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8343
Note: Transcripts are required from ALL institutions that you have attended, not only those from which you earned a degree. Be sure to notify us of any prior names under which you may possess a transcript. Previous CSUN students do not need to request CSUN transcripts, and should submit only documents related to course work completed after leaving CSUN.
*If you attended a California community college, your institution might be able to send e-transcripts on your behalf, free of charge. Please visit the eTranscript California page to determine your eligibility.
Are high school transcripts required?
We do not require high school transcripts unless students took AP classes. If they did, those transcripts would need to come directly from the College Board.
Are students who already have a bachelor’s degree eligible for this program?
No. CSUN is one of the few CSU's that does not offer a second bachelor's degree. We recommend the Master of Public Administration if you already have a bachelor’s degree and are interested in additional education in the field of Public Sector Management.
Can you provide more information on the internship requirement of the program?
Internship/field study is required. Toward the end of their coursework, students will complete internships/field studies in public sector agencies, giving them a chance to apply what they learned.
- Students will attend the course for a total of 15 hours and spend the other 30 hours of course time interning.
- Typically, internships occur at the student’s place of employment, but internships can occur elsewhere.
- Students will complete a project that they design that goes above and beyond their job description, or contributes to another department at their place of employment.
- If this project is done outside of work, students need to complete 30 hours of advanced skills (such as event planning, marketing, producing presentations, etc.) for a private or nonprofit organization (i.e., church, school, store).
- Sites may be start-ups, but must be legitimate organizations. They must file tax returns with the IRS.
For additional questions and answers, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.