Only CSUN matriculated students are potentially eligible for financial aid for the Summer Session. During the spring semester, the CSUN Financial Aid Office will announce more detailed information about Summer Session to CSUN matriculated students eligible for financial aid.
Is summer aid available?
Yes. Limited financial aid is available for the summer term to students who qualify. Summer financial aid may include the following:
- Federal Pell Grant (available only for 1st Bachelor's and Teaching Credential Students)
- Campus Summer Grant (available only for Matriculated Students enrolling through The Tseng College)
- State University Grant (available only for Matriculated Students enrolling in MSW through regular university)
- Doctoral Grants (available only for Matriculated Students enrolling in Doctoral programs through regular university)
- Federal Direct Loans
- Federal Direct PLUS loans
- Private Education Loans
Registering simultaneously for all classes in one or more summer sessions will expedite your financial aid request. Your summer aid eligibility is based on total enrollment units in all summer sessions.
Note: Students who filed the DREAM Act Application are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant and Federal Student loans and will be considered only for the Campus Summer Grant/State University Grant based on eligibility criteria and fund availability.
How do I apply for summer aid?
CSUN students enrolling for summer through The Tseng College:
- If you anticipate having summer aid available, complete the request for Temporary Enrollment Protection as outlined on this webpage.
- Enroll in summer courses and pay your summer registration fees on your own at the time of enrollment. Financial aid awards will not be available when you enroll. If you are later found eligible for aid, you will be awarded. However, you should also be financially prepared for the possibility that we may run out of funds or that you may not have remaining eligibility for the summer term.
- Have a 2019-2020 financial aid application on file with the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department. If you already completed a 2019-2020 FAFSA or CA Dream application, you do not need to submit another one for summer aid.
- Submit all required documents as listed in your To-Do List. Log on to the myNorthridge Portal, and navigate to the SOLAR Student Center. The To-Do List is located on the right side of the page.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- To be considered for the Campus Summer Grant, you must be enrolled half-time. Eligible students will be identified and awarded once enrollment is established. No further action is required by the student. (Note: You must maintain half-time eligibility in order to keep the Campus Summer Grant. If you drop below half-time status, we will cancel the grant.)
Temporary Enrollment Protection
Full payment for Summer Session is due within two hours of registration. Approved Enrollment protection requests will protect you from being automatically dis-enrolled from classes for non-payment.
- The temporary enrollment protection form is no longer available because the deadline has passed.
- Be advised that this form is not an application for financial aid, and enrollment protection is not a guarantee that you will receive financial aid.
- Should a student with approved enrollment protection still have a remaining tuition balance after summer aid has been disburse and paid toward the balance, they will be required to pay the remaining tuition balance immediately.
A sponsored student is one whose tuition will be paid by a third party, such as an employer, military organization, vocational rehabilitation department, municipality, or any other agency, body, board or business entity.
In order for you to be considered a sponsored student, your sponsor must submit a letter of authorization to the Tseng College prior to registration. Upon approval, CSUN will invoice the sponsoring organization directly for your tuition fees; you will not have to pay at the time of registration. Please read instructions here: Third Party Sponsorships.
If you are a veteran, reservist or dependent of a veteran with disabilities or deceased veteran and you are eligible to receive educational benefits, please contact the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office for assistance with priority registration and fee payment.
CSUN Staff Fee Waiver Program
The University's Fee Waiver and Reduction Program for employees applies only to state-funded programs and terms. Therefore, the fee waiver program will not apply to courses offered in the self-support Summer Session.
CSUN welcomes students from all over the world to enroll in Summer Session courses and experience a vibrant, diverse American university.
For international students in the Los Angeles area, enrollment in ... Read more about International Students
To qualify as a CSUN student for summer enrollment purposes, you must be formally admitted to and enrolled in a CSUN degree program, credit certificate, or credential program. See more ... Read more about CSUN Students
When withdrawing from a course, students must consider both the academic and financial aspects of their enrollment. Any student who does not formally withdraw from a course before the drop ... Read more about Withdrawal
Category: Academic Policies & Student Conduct
Grades received in Summer Session become part of a student's academic record and are included in the student's overall grade point average at CSUN.
You can view and manage your academic, ... Read more about Grades
Category: Student Resources
If you are new to CSUN, your first step is to create a student account in order to receive a CSUN Student ID Number and a CSUN User ID.
Your CSUN ... Read more about Computer & Email Account