Visiting students are considered those who are not formally admitted and enrolled in a degree, certificate or crediential program at CSUN.
To qualify as a U.S. visiting student for Open University enrollment purposes, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
|SPRING 2021 SEMESTER
|Registration Period (Weeks 2-3)
||Monday, February 1 – Friday, February 12, 2021
||Monday, January 25, 2021
|Last day to add without permission & Last day to drop and receive a refund
||Friday, February 12, 2021
|4th Week Late Registration
||Monday, February 15 – Friday, February 19, 2021
|Spring Break – no instruction
||Monday, March 15 – Sunday, March 21, 2021
|Cesar Chavez Day Holiday – campus closed; no instruction
||Wednesday, March 31, 2021
||Friday, May 14, 2021
|Final Examinations (see final exam schedule)
||Saturday, May 15 – Friday, May 21, 2021
CSUN is virtual for Spring 2021
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, CSUN will be utilizing virtual instruction for a majority of Spring 2021 courses. Be sure to confirm with course instructors or host departments for details on specific courses. Please visit our website for more information on Getting Started with Remote Learning.
Those who are new to CSUN, must first create a student account and establish themselves in the system. See "How to Establish Yourself in the System" below. For more information, see How to Enroll.
How to Establish Yourself in the System
- Go to the CSUN Homepage.
- Hover the mouse cursor over "ADMISSIONS" section on the home page.
- Click "Extended Learning Programs and Registration".
- Click "Enrollment."
- Click "New Students."
- Fill out the "New Tseng College Student Application", then click "Continue".
- In the "Create User Profile" screen, create a password, then select one of the following under "Program to Enroll":
- College of Extended Learning, Graduate Credit
- College of Extended Learning, Undergraduate Credit
- College of Extended Learning - Non Credit and CEUs (continuing education units)
- Select the appropriate term/session. Click "Submit".
- The "New Extension Student Application Completed" screen, containing your CSUN Student ID Number and new User ID, will be displayed. Now, create your Password.
- Print this information for your records and keep it in a secure place. Your User ID and Password are necessary to enter the Portal for all online services and registration. You may also write this information below for future use. After you have completed this, click on "Logout".
NOTE: If your intention is to make a payment with an Electronic Check, you must wait 24 hours to enroll after completing the process, as explained above.
Open University Classes
To search for classes, click on the Spring 2021 navigation link on top.
All Open University students are required to obtain and use a permission number to enroll themselves in any course. To receive a permission number, Open University students should review the class notes of the course for any department specific process and then complete this Open University Course Request Submission Form. For more information, see Prerequisites. Open university students may attend the first class meeting of the course they wish to add to revisit their request for a permission number from the instructor. Online course pages will be available via Canvas on the Public Course Index.
Maximum Unit Load:
- Undergraduate Students13 units
- Graduate Students19 units
Students in good standing may request additional units over the Fall and Spring maximum unit load by completing the Extra Unit Authorization form.
However, this form is strictly limited at this time, and will only be processed when Nonrestrictive Registration begins (see Registration Calendar).
U.S. Military Veterans or Service Members
If you are a U.S. Military Veteran or a Service Member, please contact the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office at (818) 677-5928 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.