Visiting students are considered those who are not formally admitted and enrolled in a degree, certificate or crediential program at CSUN.
To qualify as a U.S. visiting student for Open University enrollment purposes, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
|SPRING 2023 SEMESTER
|Registration Period (Weeks 2-3)
||Monday, January 30 – Friday, February 10, 2023
||Monday, January 23, 2023
|Last day to add without permission & Last day to drop and receive a refund
||Friday, February 10, 2023
|4th Week Late Registration
||Monday, February 13 – Friday, February 17, 2023
|Spring Break – no instruction
||Monday, March 20 – Sunday, March 26, 2023
|Cesar Chavez Day Holiday – campus closed; no instruction
||Friday, March 31, 2023
||Friday, May 12, 2023
|Final Examinations (see final exam schedule)
||Saturday, May 13 – Friday, May 19, 2023
Those who are new to CSUN, must first create a student account and establish themselves in the system. See "How to Establish Yourself in the System" below. For more information, see How to Enroll.
How to Establish Yourself in the System
- Go to the CSUN Non-degree Student Page.
- Click "Get Your CSUN ID" to expand the menu and click the link for student application.
- On the "Create User Profile" screen, create a password, then select one of the following under "Program to Enroll":
- College of Extended Learning, Graduate Credit
- College of Extended Learning, Undergraduate Credit
- College of Extended Learning - Non Credit and CEUs (continuing education units)
- Select the appropriate term/session. Click "Submit".
- The "New Extension Student Application Completed" screen, containing your CSUN Student ID Number and new User ID, will be displayed. Now, create your Password.
- Print this information for your records and keep it in a secure place. Your User ID and Password are necessary to enter the Portal for all online services and registration. You may also write this information below for future use. After you have completed this, click on "Logout".
NOTE: If your intention is to make a payment with an Electronic Check, you must wait 24 hours to enroll after completing the process, as explained above.
Open University Classes
To search for classes, click on the Spring 2023 navigation link on top.
All Open University students are required to obtain and use a permission number to enroll themselves in any course. For more information, see Prerequisites. To request a permission number, please complete the Open University Course Request Form for each individual desired course section. Submitting a request does not guarantee permission to enroll. Open university students may attend the first class meeting of the course they wish to add to revisit their request for a permission number from the instructor. Online course pages will be available via Canvas on the Public Course Index.
- Permission numbers can only be used once. Therefore, make sure to have your payment information handy at the time of registration, as you will only have 24 hours at the time of enrollment to pay for your courses.
- All unused permission numbers become inactive on Friday of the third week of the semester.
Timeline for Request Review Process
Departments will begin reviewing course requests closer to the start of classes in January. Enrollment officially begins on January 30, 2023. While some departments may offer permission prior to this date, that decision is up to the department chair and/or the course instructor. Once a department has made a decision regarding your course request, you will receive a notification via email to your CSUN Email account. Please make sure you check this account regularly. We will continually revisit requests with department chairs and provide regular reminders for any outstanding requests.
Starting Week 1 (January 23), most courses still have an active waiting list for CSUN students. Open University course requests will be accommodated once the waitlist ends at the close of the week. If you have not heard back regarding your course request, you may contact the course instructor directly to request access to the Canvas page and lectures for the first few class meetings. If you are submitting a new request at this time, please complete the online form and also contact the course instructor to let them know you are interested in adding the course. Only the course instructor can allow you to view the course page and materials prior to formally enrolling in the course.
Starting Week 2 (January 30), if you have not heard back regarding your course request, you may contact the course instructor directly to request access to the Canvas page and lectures for the first few class meetings. NOTE: Most instructors will be hesitant to allow a student to add the course after missing two weeks of instruction. We recommend you connect with the instructor during Week 1 to discuss your interest in their course. If provided a permission number by the department or instructor, you are still able to enroll in the course at this time.
Starting Week 3 (February 6), most instructors will only allow students to add who have actively been participating in the course and are waiting for a permission number. While it is still possible to receive a permission number from the department during this time, most departments defer to the course instructor to issue permission numbers.
Starting Week 4 (February 13), Open University registration ends and course requests will no longer be accepted.
Maximum Unit Load:
- Undergraduate Students13 units
- Graduate Students19 units
Students in good standing may request additional units over the Fall and Spring maximum unit load by completing the Extra Unit Authorization form.
However, this form is strictly limited at this time, and will only be processed when Nonrestrictive Registration begins (see Registration Calendar).
U.S. Military Veterans or Service Members
If you are a U.S. Military Veteran or a Service Member, please contact the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office at (818) 677-5928 or email email@example.com.