- yr program
Applicants are considered for admission to CSUN when they meet both university and individual department eligibility requirements.
To be considered for admission to CSUN as a graduate student in a master's program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution;
- Be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended; and
- Have satisfied one of the following conditions:
- Attained a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 in a baccalaureate degree program,
- Attained a GPA of at least 2.5 in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted, or
- Hold a post-baccalaureate degree earned at a regionally accredited institution and 2.5 GPA in either the undergraduate cumulative GPA or the last 60 units.
Competitive candidates to the Master of Social Work program will:
- Have earned a baccalaureate degree in Sociology, Psychology, the liberal arts or similar program, with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better;
- Have post-baccalaureate work experience (academic credit cannot be given for prior life and work experience); and
- Demonstrate evidence of personal maturity, including the ability to withstand difficult emotional challenges, a commitment to interpersonal processing within the parameters of cultural expectations, respect for others and for their life decisions, a readiness to learn advanced clinical and macro practice and research skills, a commitment to social justice and to the profession's Code of Ethics, and a capacity for flexibility and creativity.
Applicants must submit a complete application by the posted final application deadline:
- A submitted online application with an electronic payment of the $70 non-refundable application fee.
- Upload a personal statement and resume to the online application.
- Applicants who have attended another graduate social work school/program must be prepared to supply a letter of good standing from the director of the social work school/program and a recent field placement evaluation, upon request from CSUN staff at any point during the application process, though it is not required to be uploaded to the application.
- Three electronic recommendations submitted by recommenders through the AdobeSign platform.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended, regardless of whether or not credits were earned, transferred, or applied to a degree. Applicants previously enrolled at CSUN do not need to submit CSUN transcripts.
- Applicants to this Master's program must have earned a bachelor's degree by June 2023. Applicants who have missing transcripts, are taking courses to complete a degree, or who provided a preliminary transcript, must submit all final transcripts by June 2023.
- Applicants who have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a college or university outside the U.S. (i.e. have a non U.S. degree) should carefully review the English Language Proficiency information below, and follow Step 2b of the Application Instructions for additional instructions to ensure a complete application.
English Proficiency Requirements
For Non-U.S. Degree and International Students Only
Exception: If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required.
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for graduate applicants for Master of Social Work.
|Test Name and Website||Minimum Score Required for Graduate Students||Send Score Directly To CSUN|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE)||185||Email “Confirmation of Entry” page to email@example.com.|
|DET – Duolingo English Test||115||Online through your Duolingo Account. See Sending Your Results.|
|EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English||2630 (1)||Contact EIKEN online; they will send the score directly to us.|
|GTEC CBT – Global Test of English
Communication Computer-Based Test
|1275||Have GTEC send a copy of your "Official Score Certificate" to CSUN.|
|IELTS - International English Language Test System||7.0
||Have IELTS send a copy of your "Test Report Form" to CSUN.|
|iTEP Academic - International Test of English Proficiency||4.5||Have iTEP send your score to CSUN.|
|PTE Academic - Pearson’s Test of English||64||Online through your PTE Academic Account|
|TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language||— Internet Based score: 85
We do not accept TOEFL ITP.
|Use CSUN School Code 4707.|
If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a college or university outside the U.S. where English is the principal language of instruction, the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required. Please note:
- CSUN interprets "where English is the principal language of instruction" to mean that a school is located in a country where English is the daily medium of communication for the majority of residents, and that students receive academic instruction in English at all levels of education.
- Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: Australia, Belize, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, plus a few nations in the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago).
International students applying to “face-to-face” programs must also submit an Affidavit of Financial Support, bank statement, and copy of their passport information page. For financial aid eligibility for non-U.S. citizens, visit The U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid website.
According to U.S. immigration regulations, F-1 and M-1 students cannot pursue online degrees. The focus on classroom participation for J-1 students may mean that J-1 students cannot maintain their status if enrolled in an online program. Therefore, if admitted to the MSW Online program, F-1, M-1, and J-1 students must participate in the program from their home country.
Admission to the University
Students must submit an online application to the program and be admitted prior to taking the first class in the program. Students are required to provide official transcripts from the required institutions of higher education.
Before submitting your application, please ensure you meet all University admission requirements, including a minimum GPA of 2.5.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents on this page. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.