Student students traveling outside the United States need a DSO (designated school official) to approve their travel request and properly endorse their Form I-20. Endorsement allows the student to re-enter the United States to continue their studies in the admitted program. To file this request go to the Office of Admissions, Registration and Client Services, located in Extended University Commons (2nd floor), at least seven business days before departure date. Students will be asked to:

  • Complete a Student I-20 Request Form.
  • Proof of permission from academic department (if requesting to travel while classes are in session).

In order to have I-20 endorsed for travel, student must be eligible to continue in program of study.

Note: Authorizing travel is for students who are returning to their program of study. Students transferring to another school MUST use the new school's I-20 to reenter the US.