In the United States, call 9-1-1 for an emergency.
Call 911 to ask for help from the police, the fire department, for medical emergencies, and to report a crime in progress.
TEXT to 911: Text Your Emergency & Location to CSUN PD
Call 9-1-1 from any phone or use a campus blue light emergency phone (75+ are located on campus), or TEXT your emergency and location to 911.
- Call from a safe location.
- Stay calm.
- Clearly answer questions and plainly explain the problem and the location.
- Give your name, telephone number, and location when asked.
- Be prepared to give a description of the suspect(s). If applicable, give a vehicle description and direction of travel.
- DON’T HANG UP! Follow the instructions of the dispatcher.
Public Emergencies: Natural Disasters, Evacuations, etc.
Earthquake! Wildfire! Disasters !
In the Unlikely Event of an Emergency Evacuation or Campus-Wide Disturbance, there are Many Ways to Stay Informed and In Contact.
Social Media - CSUN
Social Media – Off Campus Resources
If we are unable to contact you following an evacuation or natural disaster:
These websites have live updates:
- Travel Warnings
If you are required to evacuate, remember to take important documents and items with you, BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME!
Non-Emergency Police Services
For an after-hours, non-emergency, call the 24-hour Police Dispatch (818) 677-2111.
Personal Safety Escorts
- Monday – Thursday From dusk to 11:00 pm
- Use the Safety Escort button in the CSUN mobile app, look for a Matador Patrol member, or call (818) 677-2111.
- Don’t walk alone. Use this great service!
- Have an escort walk or drive you to and from parking lots, classrooms, and dorm rooms.
- Matador Patrol members are easily recognizable wearing university colored (red, black, white) uniforms and use foot, bicycle, and six-seat electric cart patrols around campus during the aforementioned times.
- When the Matador Patrol is not available, University Police will escort you.
An On-line Reporting Option is available for the following non-emergency crimes/incidents. Contact by a police investigator will be made on the next business day following submittal of the report.
- Harassing Phone Calls
- Lost Property
- Non-Injury Hit and Run Traffic Collisions
- Identity Theft
- Unlawful Smoking and Tobacco Use
- Vehicle Tampering
- Vehicle Burglary
- Bullying & Harassing Behavior
The Department of Police Services provides numerous safety services that include:
- Vehicle unlocks, jump-starts, amber light parking lot patrols, room unlocks, victim/witness services, restraining order assistance, and personal safety escorts in the evening.
Amber Light Patrol
The Amber Light Patrol is a safety service provided by the university. Parking enforcement vehicles with emergency amber-colored lights are available to assist with finding a lost vehicle, jump-starting a dead battery, or retrieving keys locked in an automobile.
Jump Starts and Lock Outs
Parking Enforcement Officers handle many public assists similar to what a Freeway Patrol Service might handle. These other duties include assisting people with a battery jump start or retrieving keys locked in a vehicle.
University Parking Enforcement Officers also help people who have lost their vehicle in the more than 12,000 parking spaces spread out among four parking structures and more than fifteen surface parking areas.
Police Substation Located in University Park
For students living in CSUN Student Housing, University Park, there is a police substation location in Parking Lot G7, which is south of Apartment 14. It is staffed periodically during its hours of operation: Wednesday through Saturday evenings, 6 p.m. to 4 a.m.
CSUN PD – Available on CSUN Mobil App
Open "Police Services" on the app to access crime logs, campus alerts, view parking information and emergency contacts.
Lost and Found
Our CSUN Department of Police Services is the location of Lost and Found items, too.
The Livescan Fingerprinting Unit provides inkless fingerprinting which is electronically transmitted to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) for completion of a criminal record check.
The Department of Police Services is located at 9222 Darby Avenue on the southwest corner of Darby Avenue and Prairie Street.