This program is available for contract. If you'd like to learn more about this program, please contact the Program Manager by submitting the form on the left of this page. Thank you!
CSUN’s certificate in Urban Planning prepares participants to address the multitude of issues facing urban areas. In the program, participants learn to identify community needs, promote environmental sustainability, plan future developments and collaborate with government agencies and private firms to encourage urban prosperity.
In addition to classroom instruction, courses emphasize experiential learning. Using the field’s current tools, such as geographical information systems (GIS), participants will learn how to design, implement and monitor comprehensive plans and zoning.
At the end of the certificate, participants will be able to:
- Plan and research urban developments
- Understand zoning principles
- Conduct environmental impact analyses
- Explain urban planning’s economic and social dimensions
- Help communities evolve and grow
- Comprehend federal and international regulations
- Integrate planning principles with management practices