Applicant MUST have ALL of the following satisfied before the application will be processed and a Form I-20 will be issued for the Intensive English Program (IEP):
- Be at least 18 years of age by the start of the program.
- Have completed high school.
- Program Application Fee is received at the time of the online application. This fee is non-refundable.
- All required documents are submitted at the time of the online application.
- Program Tuition for the FIRST TERM is received in FULL and successfully posted on the student’s account.
Application and Items to Submit
- Submit an online Intensive English Program (IEP) Conditional Admission Applicationby selecting the appropriate semester, creating a user account, and completing all appropriate sections of the application prior to submitting.
- Program Application Fee is paid at the time of the online application by credit card only (MasterCard or VISA). This fee is non-refundable.
- Provide HOME COUNTRY ADDRESS on the application. This is a SEVIS requirement.
NOTE: SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information database, used nationwide, that the U.S. government uses to maintain accurate and current information on non-immigrant students, as well as generates a Form I-20 or DS-Form DS-2019 required to present at a visa interview.
- Upload and attach the following REQUIRED documents at the time of the online application:
- Copy of the Evidence of Financial Support. This is a current official bank statement or bank letter that verifies a minimum balance of US $25,000.
- Copy of Passport (include photo page).
IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS, for UNDERGRADUATE Conditional Admission, upload and attach the following REQUIRED documents at the time of the online application:
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from High School issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from High School translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of High School graduation issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of High School graduation translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from College/University issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from College/University translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of College/University graduation issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of College/University graduation translated in English.
IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS, for GRADUATE conditional admission, upload and attach the following REQUIRED documents at the time of the online application:
NOTE: Not all graduate degrees are open for conditional admission. Contact email@example.com for an updated list.
- Three (3) Recommendation Letters
- A Statement of Purpose
- A Resume / CV
- Additional Department Requirements - Document requirements for graduate programs may vary. Click on MASTER (Graduate) DEGREESprogram link, select the intended major and review and provide the additional the required documents to our office. SOME DOCUMENTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO BE MAILED TO OUR OFFICE at:
Intensive English Program, Admissions
Office of Admissions, Registration & Client Services
The Tseng College -- Graduate, International, and Midcareer Education
California State University, Northridge (CSUN)
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge Ca 91330-8343
IMPORTANT – Complete and submit a CSUN online application at Cal State Apply to the desired degree program*.
To help with completing the application, use the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center.
Cal State Apply charges $55 USD to apply to each program.
Submitting Your Payment
- When you are ready to submit your application, go to the Submit Application tab and click Pay for My Programs.
- Do not submit any payments before submitting your application.
- Payments can only be made in the application via electronic check, credit or debit card.
- We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.
- Credit card payments cannot be made over the phone.
- Once you submit your application and payment, click View Payment History for each program on the Check Status page to confirm your payment's receipt.
If you have any questions/concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Know Before Applying
- To browse a complete list of CUSN degree programs, visit the following sites by selecting BACHELOR DEGREES or MASTER DEGREES.
- Document requirements for graduate and certificate programs may vary. See program information in the above link for details.
- *NOT all graduate degree and certificate programs are open for conditional admission. Contact email@example.com for an updated list.
- After a semester's admissions cycle has closed, some majors may still be accepting students. Look for these exceptions in the ADMISSIONS CALENDAR.
Complete the following to receive an acceptance packet, which includes a Form I-20:
- Receive, by mail, a Username and Password letter which contains the following information required to setup a CSUN account through myNorthridge Portal:
- Make an online Program Tuition payment for the FIRST TERM. To make an online payment, log on to myNorthridge Portal, using personal CSUN username and password, then:
- Select the Home tab
- Locate the Quick Links and select Pay Account Balance
- Select EXL Credit Card Payment* (Must disable the popup blocker to navigate to the new online tab/window. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance)
- New TAB will open to make a payment through the CashNet database. Online payment is accepted in the following methods:
- Credit Card - Visa or MasterCard only
- Electronic Check - Account and routing number are required
- International Wire Transfer - Must select currency and country. Print payment instructions. Complete payment at local bank or with online banking using the printed instructions. For more information on International Wire Transfer, please see our guide.
IMPORTANT: Program tuition must be received in full and successfully posted on the student’s account before an I-20 will be issued.
- Access CSUN Gmail or forward to personal email. All official university communication is sent to the CSUN Gmail email account. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor the Gmail account. For detailed information, visit CSUN IT Help Center at http://www.csun.edu/it/email.
- A Form I-20 will be needed to apply for an F-1 student visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the student's country of origin. A Form I-20 is a government approved document issued by the Tseng College. To receive a Form I-20, student must apply and be admitted to the program. For additional steps regarding immigration and how to apply for a visa, please see Visas: How to Apply and Maintain F-1 Visa Status.
Upon Arrival to the US
- Check-in IN PERSON with the Admissions, Registration, and Client Services (ARC) Office and be prepared to submit the following documents:
- Check-In Form (requires residential address and a U.S. Emergency Contact)
- Port of Entry Stamp (placed inside the passport when entered the U.S.)
- Copy of Visa (include photo page)
NOTE: Submit the above documents as a whole to expedite the SEVIS registration process. SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information database which generates a Form I-20. FAILURE TO COMPLETE CHECK-IN MAY AFFECT ELIGIBILITY TO REMAIN IN STATUS.
- Attend MANDATORY orientation. Refer to program admit letter for date, time, and location. If the location on the letter says “To Be Advised,” email email@example.com for details.
- Email a copy of Proof of Health Insurance to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include first name, last name, and CSUN ID number in the subject line of the email. For more information, please see Health and Accident Insurance Requirements. Health insurance is a CSU requirement.
- Attend class! To maintain visa and Form I-20, the U.S. government REQUIRES all international students be enrolled in FULL-TIME studies. For IEP students, full-time enrollment is a minimum of 20 units. Failure to attend classes while in the U.S. violates the student visa terms.
CSUN's English-Language Proficiency Admission Requirements
Applicants can be pre-approved for admission to an undergraduate or graduate degree program of their choice through IEP's Conditional Admission plan if they have not yet met the English-language proficiency admission requirements of their target educational institution. Interested students must apply to both the Intensive English Program (IEP) with Conditional Admission and to the CSUN degree program.
||PAPER-BASED TEST (PBT)
||COMPUTER-BASED TEST (CBT)
||INTERNET-BASED TEST (IBT)
*NOTE: Some graduate programs may require a higher TOEFL/IELTS scores. Reference the program requirements in the university catalog.
Undergraduate TOEFL Waiver
If students have conditional admission "pre-approved status" and complete the IEP University Bridge Program with a minimum GPA of 3.0, they are eligible to enter an undergraduate or graduate degree program at CSUN – or at a partnering institution - without taking the TOEFL.
Graduate TOEFL Waiver
Students who are conditionally admitted to the university, have completed Part B of the University Bridge Program in the IEP and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above are eligible for a graduate TOEFL waiver to the university or a partnering institution.
For more about TOEFL Waivers, contact the IEP Academic Office at (818) 677-5938.
Please carefully review the full list of International Programs and Partnerships Program Policies.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents on this page. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.