This page includes the following program requirements:
- MPA Graduation Requirements
- Steps Required to Complete your MPA Degree
- Graduate Project Requirements
- Textbook Requirements
- Technical Requirements
- MPA Withdrawal Policies
MPA Graduation Requirements
- Completion of a minimum of 33 semester units of approved graduate courses;
- Completion of at least 24 of these units in residence;
- Completion of all course work with a GPA of at least 3.0;
- Completion of a graduate project equivalent to 3 semester units (in addition to the above 33 units of course work);
- Students must be fully classified at the time of graduation (in order to be fully classified, students must have the following: Bachelor's degree from an accredited university, 3.0 GPA in their cumulative post-graduate course work, and have passed the UDWPE).
Steps Required to Complete Your MPA Degree
Conditionally Classified Graduate (GRAD) Status
In order to achieve fully classified graduate standing, students will need:
- A passing score on the Writing Proficiency Exam.
It is important to achieve full classified standing prior to completing more than 12 units of graduate coursework on the program of study. No more than 12 units of work taken prior to attaining fully classified status will be applied to a master’s degree program.
Classified Graduate Status
Students who meet all University and departmental requirements as outlined in the current catalog.
Graduation with Honors
Students who satisfy all program requirements and maintain a grade point average of 3.885 or higher on their coursework will receive their MPA degrees with distinction. The notation "with distinction" is posted on the transcript and will appear on the diploma.
Applying for the Degree
Upon successful completion of all course work and requirements, student must indicate the semester in which they plan on taking the Culminating Experience on the Graduation Application form.
Reinstatement to the MPA Program
If a student withdraws from a cohort, s(he) may be admitted to another cohort at a later date. The reinstated student will be assessed the same tuition and nonrefundable fees as apply to all other students in the new cohort.
Note: All cohorts, once begun, will be taught out through to completion. However, there is no guarantee that new cohorts will follow in a specific area or within a specific amount of time.
Graduate Project Requirements
The only culminating experience for the Master of Public Administration program is the graduate project. Students take graduate project course as the last class in their program. In the graduate project course, it requires students to demonstrate their mastery of their specialization in Public Administration.
In order to enroll in graduate project, students must be fully classified. That implies successful completion of the Writing Proficiency Examination, as well as having passed the requisite 33 units of coursework while maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or better.
For information on how to look up your MPA textbooks, go to the Campus Store website at https://www.bkstr.com/csunorthridgestore/shop/textbooks-and-course-materials.
Please carefully review the technical requirements for this program.
MPA Withdrawal and Refund Policies for Cohort Students
Please carefully review the The Tseng College Withdrawal and Refund policies.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents on this page. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.