Applicant MUST have ALL of the following satisfied before the application will be processed and a Form I-20 will be issued for the Semester at CSUN (SAC) program:
- Be at least 18 years of age by the start of the program.
- Have completed high school.
- Be an Undergraduate level student in their home country (graduate students are accepted to the SAC program on a case-by-case basis).
- Undergraduate level student has a minimum grade point average of 2.0, based on a 4.0 grading system, from an accredited institution. (Graduate level student has a minimum grade point average of 2.5, based on a 4.0 grading system, from an accredited institution).
- Meet the CSUN English-Language Proficiency Requirements (see section below for list of tests and minimum scores).
- A current IEP student who passes the IELTS, TOEFL, or obtains a TOEFL waiver and wants to study in SAC the upcoming semester must apply to SAC. Evaluation will be based on SAC program requirements.
- Program Application Fee must be paid when submitting the online application. This fee is non-refundable.
- All required documents are submitted at the time of the online application.
- Program Tuition must be received in FULL and successfully posted on the student’s account before a Form I-20 will be issued.
- The SAC program does not guarantee admission to California State University, Northridge (CSUN).
- Course selection is subject to availability and the relevant academic department's approval.
- SAC is for visiting international students who wish to take credit classes offered by CSUN.
- The maximum amount of time allowed in the SAC program is two (2) regular semesters.
- SAC program students must be enrolled full-time. See Full-Time Enrollment Requirement.
Application and Items to Submit
- Submit an online Semester at CSUN (SAC) Program Application by selecting the appropriate semester, creating a user account, and completing all appropriate sections of the application prior to submitting. If you have any questions/concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Program Application Fee is paid at the time of the online application by credit card only (MasterCard or VISA). This fee is non-refundable.
- Provide HOME COUNTRY ADDRESS on the application. This is a SEVIS requirement.
NOTE: SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information database, used nationwide, that the U.S. government uses to maintain accurate and current information on non-immigrant students, as well as generates a Form I-20 or DS-Form DS-2019 required to present at a visa interview.
- Upload and attach the following REQUIRED documents at the time of the online application:
- Copy of the Evidence of Financial Support. This is a current official bank statement or bank letter that verifies a minimum balance of US $16,000.
- Copy of Passport (include photo page).
- Preferred Course Request Schedule written on a word document. The “how to” document is available to download on the attachments page of the online application.
NOTE: Preferred course schedules must be listed on the application for the given term (Fall or Spring). It is important that we receive this information as soon as possible. The preferred course schedule submitted should be final as we have to work with departments to get approvals.
- Academic Goals Statement written on a word document and uploaded and attached to the online application.
- Copy of a passing English-Language Proficiency score.
- Copy of Passport (include photo page).
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from High School issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from High School translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of High School graduation issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of High School graduation translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from College/University issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from College/University translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of College/University graduation issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of College/University graduation translated in English.
- IMPORTANT: If the student’s transcript does not include the current courses they are taking at their school, then they must provide a school issued document listing their current courses “In Progress” of completing, since the course(s) and/or grade(s) are not on the transcript.
Complete the following to receive an acceptance packet, along with a Form I-20:
- Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal. Watch for the “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from CSUN Tseng College Admissions, Registration and Client Services (ARC) Office sent to the address you provided on your program application. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply. Email contains the following information to help you setup a CSUN account:
- Nine-digit CSUN student identification number
- CSUN User ID
- CSUN Email Address
- Instructions to set up access to myNorthridge Portal. For help, see account activation instructions.
- Make an online Program Tuition payment. To make an online payment, log on to myNorthridge Portal, using personal CSUN username and password, then:
- Select the Home tab
- Locate the Quick Links and select Pay Account Balance
- Select EXL Credit Card Payment (Must disable the popup blocker to navigate to the new online tab/window. Contact email@example.com for assistance)
- New TAB will open to make a payment through the CashNet database. Online payment is accepted in the following methods:
- Credit Card - Visa or MasterCard only
- Electronic Check - Account and routing number are required
- International Wire Transfer - Must select currency and country. Print payment instructions. Complete payment at local bank or with online banking using the printed instructions. For more information on International Wire Transfer, please see our guide.
IMPORTANT: Program tuition must be received in full and successfully posted on the student’s account before a Form I-20 will be issued.
- Access CSUN Gmail or forward to personal email. All official university communication is sent to the CSUN Gmail email account. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor the Gmail account. For help, access and manage CSUN email.
- A Form I-20 will be needed to apply for an F-1 student visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the student's country of origin. A Form I-20 is a government approved document issued by the Tseng College. To receive a Form I-20, student must apply and be admitted to the program. For additional steps regarding immigration and how to apply for a visa, please see Visas: How to Apply and Maintain F-1 Visa Status.
Upon Arrival to the US
- Check-in IN PERSON with the Admissions, Registration and Client Services (ARC) Office and be prepared to submit the following documents:
- Check-In Form (requires U.S. residential address and a U.S. Emergency Contact)
- Port of Entry Stamp (placed inside the passport when entering the U.S.)
- Copy of Visa (include photo page)
NOTE: FAILURE TO COMPLETE SEVIS CHECK-IN MAY AFFECT ELIGIBILITY TO REMAIN IN STATUS. Submit the above documents as a whole to expedite the SEVIS registration process. SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information database, used nationwide, that the U.S. government uses to maintain accurate and current information on non-immigrant students, as well as generates a Form I-20 or DS-Form DS-2019 required to present at a visa interview.
- Attend MANDATORY orientation. Refer to program admit letter for date, time, and location. If the location on the letter says “To Be Advised,” email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Email a copy of Proof of Health Insurance to email@example.com. Include first name, last name, and CSUN ID number in the subject line of the email. For more information, please see Health and Accident Insurance Requirements. Health insurance is a CSU requirement.
- Attend class! To maintain visa and Form I-20, the U.S. government REQUIRES all international students be enrolled in FULL-TIME studies. For SAC undergraduate students, full-time enrollment is a minimum of 12 units. For SAC graduate students, full-time enrollment is a minimum of 9 units. Failure to attend classes while in the U.S. violates the student visa terms.
The following are acceptable CSUN English-Language Proficiency Exams and minimum scores:
International English Language Test System
|6.0 or higher
||6.5 or higher
Test of English as a Foreign Language
- Internet-Based Test (IBT)
- Paper-Based Test (PBT)
Pearson Test of English Academic
International Test of English Proficiency
Please carefully review the full list of International Programs and Partnerships Program Policies.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents on this page. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.