Applicant MUST have ALL of the following satisfied before the application will be processed and a Form I-20 will be issued for the Intensive English Program (IEP):
- Be at least 18 years of age by the start of the program.
- Have completed high school.
- Program Application Fee must be paid when submitting the online application. This fee is non-refundable.
- All required documents are submitted at the time of the online application.
- Program Tuition must be received in FULL and successfully posted on the student’s account before a Form I-20 will be issued.
Application and Items to Submit
- Submit an online Intensive English Program (IEP) Conditional Admission Application by selecting the appropriate semester, creating a user account, and completing all appropriate sections of the application prior to submitting. If you have any questions/concerns, please email us at email@example.com .
- Program Application Fee is paid at the time of the online application by credit card only (MasterCard or VISA). This fee is non-refundable.
- Provide HOME COUNTRY ADDRESS on the application. This is a SEVIS requirement.
NOTE: SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information database, used nationwide, that the U.S. government uses to maintain accurate and current information on non-immigrant students, as well as generates a Form I-20 or DS-Form DS-2019 required to present at a visa interview.
- Upload and attach the following REQUIRED documents at the time of the online application:
For the Intensive English Program, upload and attach the following required documents at the time of the online application:
- Copy of the Evidence of Financial Support. This is a current official bank statement or bank letter that verifies a minimum balance of US $25,000.
- Copy of Passport (include photo page).
IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS, for UNDERGRADUATE Conditional Admission, upload and attach the following required documents at the time of the online application:
Note: To browse a complete list of CSUN undergraduate degree programs, select BACHELOR DEGREES .
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from High School issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from High School translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of High School graduation issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of High School graduation translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from College/University issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL transcripts from College/University translated in English.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of College/University graduation issued in original language.
- Copy of OFFICIAL certificate/diploma of College/University graduation translated in English.
IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS, for GRADUATE Conditional Admission, upload and attach the following required documents at the time of the online application:
Note: To browse a complete list of CSUN graduate degree programs, select MASTER DEGREES . ◊NOT all graduate degree and certificate programs are open for conditional admission. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an updated conditional graduate major list. After a semester's admissions cycle has closed, some majors may still be accepting students. Look for these exceptions in the ADMISSIONS CALENDAR .
- Three (3) Recommendation Letters
- A Statement of Purpose
- A Resume / CV
- ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED BY THE DEPARTMENT – Contact email@example.com for an updated conditional graduate major and requirements list.
- MPORTANT – Complete and submit a CSUN online application at Cal State Apply to the desired degree program ◊.
To help with completing the application, use the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center . If you have any questions/concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you are having difficulty with the new application, please email email@example.com and request a paper application.
- Cal State Apply Fee of $55 USD to apply to each program.
Note: This fee is non-refundable. Payments can only be made in the application via electronic check, credit or debit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. Once you submit your application and payment, click View Payment History for each program on the Check Status page to confirm your payment's receipt.
Complete the following to receive an acceptance packet, along with a Form I-20:
- Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal. Watch for the “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from CSUN Tseng College Admissions, Registration and Client Services (ARC) Office sent to the address you provided on your program application. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply. Email contains the following information to help you setup a CSUN account:
- Make an online Program Tuition payment. To make an online payment, log on to myNorthridge Portal, using personal CSUN username and password, then:
- Select the Home tab
- Locate the Quick Links and select Pay Account Balance
- Select EXL Credit Card Payment (Must disable the popup blocker to navigate to the new online tab/window. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance)
- New TAB will open to make a payment through the CashNet database. Online payment is accepted in the following methods:
- Credit Card - Visa or MasterCard only
- Electronic Check - Account and routing number are required
- International Wire Transfer - Must select currency and country. Print payment instructions. Complete payment at local bank or with online banking using the printed instructions. For more information on International Wire Transfer, please see our guide.
IMPORTANT: Program tuition must be received in full and successfully posted on the student’s account before an I-20 will be issued.
- Access CSUN Gmail or forward to personal email. All official university communication is sent to the CSUN Gmail email account. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor the Gmail account. For help, access and manage CSUN email.
- A Form I-20 will be needed to apply for an F-1 student visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the student's country of origin. A Form I-20 is a government approved document issued by the Tseng College. To receive a Form I-20, student must apply and be admitted to the program. For additional steps regarding immigration and how to apply for a visa, please see Visas: How to Apply and Maintain F-1 Visa Status.
Upon Arrival to the US
- Check-in IN PERSON with the Admissions, Registration, and Client Services (ARC) Office and be prepared to submit the following documents:
- Check-In Form (requires residential address and a U.S. Emergency Contact)
- Port of Entry Stamp (placed inside the passport when entered the U.S.)
- Copy of Visa (include photo page)
NOTE: FAILURE TO COMPLETE SEVIS CHECK-IN MAY AFFECT ELIGIBILITY TO REMAIN IN STATUS. Submit the above documents as a whole to expedite the SEVIS registration process. SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information database, used nationwide, that the U.S. government uses to maintain accurate and current information on non-immigrant students, as well as generates a Form I-20 or DS-Form DS-2019 required to present at a visa interview.
- Attend MANDATORY orientation. Refer to program admit letter for date, time, and location. If the location on the letter says “To Be Advised,” email email@example.com for details.
- Email a copy of Proof of Health Insurance to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include first name, last name, and CSUN ID number in the subject line of the email. For more information, please see Health and Accident Insurance Requirements. Health insurance is a CSU requirement.
- Attend class! To maintain visa and Form I-20, the U.S. government REQUIRES all international students be enrolled in FULL-TIME studies. For IEP students, full-time enrollment is a minimum of 20 units. Failure to attend classes while in the U.S. violates the student visa terms.
CSUN's English-Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants can be pre-approved for admission to an undergraduate or graduate degree program of their choice through IEP's Conditional Admission plan if they have not yet met the English-language proficiency admission requirements of their target educational institution. Interested students must apply to both the Intensive English Program (IEP) with Conditional Admission and to the CSUN degree program.
CSUN English-Language Proficiency Requirements (for degree programs)
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for applicants. (For other tests accepted by CSUN, see the International Admissions website.)
International English Language Test System
|6.0 or higher
||6.5 or higher
Test of English as a Foreign Language
- Internet-Based Test (IBT)
- Paper-Based Test (PBT)
**NOTE: Some graduate programs may require a higher TOEFL/IELTS scores. Reference the program requirements in the university catalog.
Exceptions for English-Language Proficiency
CSUN does not require proof of English-Language Proficiency if the student earned a degree outside the U.S., where English is the principle language of instruction.
CSUN interprets "where English is the principal language of instruction" to mean that a school is located in a country where English is the daily medium of communication for the majority of residents, and that students receive academic instruction in English at all levels of education.
Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: Australia, Belize, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, plus a few nations in the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago).
The TOEFL Waiver Option is available to students who apply for conditional admission to the university and complete the university bridge levels of the program with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Students completing University Bridge A in all courses are eligible for an undergraduate TOEFL Waiver and students completing University Bridge B are eligible for a graduate TOEFL Waiver. For more about TOEFL Waivers, contact the IEP Academic Office at (818) 677-5938.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and read some of the linked documents on this page. Download a free copy of Adobe Reader.