- yr program
To be admitted to the program, applicants must:
- Possess (at the time of enrollment) a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college majoring in engineering, computer science, physical or biological sciences with a GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Relevant work experience in the field of assistive technology will be considered in lieu of a bachelor’s degree in the above fields (Note: this is not waiving a bachelor’s degree requirement. It is only considering other undergraduate majors who have relevant work experience in the field).
- Complete and submit a program application by the application deadline date (see the Apply page), that includes:
- A well-written statement of purpose
- A resume
- Approval by the coordinator of the ATE program, who will review the application to determine if the student shows high promise of success in the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
For Non-U.S. Degree and International Students Only
Exception: If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required.
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for graduate applicants for Master of Science in Assistive Technology Engineering.
|Test Name and Website||Minimum Score Required for Graduate Students||Send Score Directly To CSUN|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE)||180||Email “Confirmation of Entry” page to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|DET – Duolingo English Test||105||Online through your Duolingo Account. See Sending Your Results.|
|EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English||2630 (1)||Contact EIKEN online; they will send the score directly to us.|
|GTEC CBT – Global Test of English
Communication Computer-Based Test
|1200||Have GTEC send a copy of your "Official Score Certificate" to CSUN.|
|IELTS - International English Language Test System||6.5
||Have IELTS send a copy of your "Test Report Form" to CSUN.|
|iTEP Academic - International Test of English Proficiency||4.0||Have iTEP send your score to CSUN.|
|PTE Academic - Pearson’s Test of English||58||Online through your PTE Academic Account|
|TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language||— Internet Based score: 80
— Paper-based score: 550
We do not accept TOEFL ITP.
|Use CSUN School Code 4707.|
If a graduate applicant has earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a college or university outside the U.S. where English is the principal language of instruction, the TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required. Please note:
- CSUN interprets "where English is the principal language of instruction" to mean that a school is located in a country where English is the daily medium of communication for the majority of residents, and that students receive academic instruction in English at all levels of education.
- Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: Australia, Belize, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, plus a few nations in the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago).
Admission to the University
Students must submit an online application to the program and be admitted prior to taking the first class in the program. Students are required to provide official transcripts from the required institutions of higher education.
Before submitting your application, please ensure you meet all University admission requirements, including a minimum GPA of 2.5.