Visiting students are those who are not formally admitted and enrolled in a degree, certificate or credential program at CSUN.
To qualify as a U.S. visiting student for Open University enrollment purposes, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
|FALL 2017 SEMESTER
|Registration Period (Weeks 2-3)
||Monday, September 4 – Friday, September 15
||Monday, August 28, 2017 (Saturday classes begin August 26)
|Last day to add without permission & Last day to drop and receive a refund
||Friday, September 15, 2017
|4th Week Late Registration
||Monday, September 18 – Friday, September 22, 2017
|Labor Day Holiday - campus closed; no instruction
||Saturday, September 2 - Monday, September 4, 2017
|Veterans Day Holiday - campus closed; no instruction
||Friday, November 10
|Thanksgiving Recess - campus closed; no instruction
||Thursday, November 23 - Sunday, November 26, 2017
||Sunday, December 10, 2017
|Final Examinations (see final exam schedule)
||Monday, December 11 – Sunday, December 17, 2017
Those who are new to CSUN, must first create a student account and establish themselves in the system. See "How to Establish Yourself in the System" below. For more information, see How to Enroll.
How to Establish Yourself in the System
- Go to the CSUN Homepage.
- Hover the mouse cursor over "ADMISSIONS" section on the home page.
- Click "Extended Learning Programs and Registration".
- Click "Enrollment".
- Click "New Students".
- Fill out the "New Tseng College Student Application", then click "Continue".
- On the "Create User Profile" screen, create a password, then select one of the following under "Program to Enroll":
- College of Extended Learning, Graduate Credit
- College of Extended Learning, Undergraduate Credit
- College of Extended Learning - Non Credit and CEUs (continuing education units)
- Select the appropriate term/session. Click "Submit".
- The "New Extension Student Application Completed" screen, containing your CSUN Student ID Number and new User ID, will be displayed. Now, create your Password.
- Print this information for your records and keep it in a secure place. Your User ID and Password are necessary to enter the Portal for all online services and registration. After completion, click "Logout".
NOTE: If your intention is to make a payment with an Electronic Check, you must wait 24 hours to enroll after completing the process, as explained above.
Open University Classes
To search for classes, click on the Fall 2017 navigation link on top.
All Open University students are required to obtain and use a permission number to enroll themselves in any course. To receive a permission number, Open University students should review the class notes of the course for any department specific process and then contact the instructor via email. Open University students must attend the first class meeting of the course they wish to add to revisit their request for a permission number from the instructor. For more information, see Prerequisites.
Maximum Unit Load:
- Undergraduate Students: 13 units
- Graduate Students: 19 units
Students in good standing may request additional units over the Fall and Spring maximum unit load, by completing the Extra Unit Authorization form.
However, this form is strictly limited at this time, and will only be processed when Nonrestrictive Registration begins (see Registration Calendar).
U.S. Military Veterans or Service Members
If you are a U.S. Military Veteran or a Service Member, please contact the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office at (818) 677-5928 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.